I was unimpressed with Sunday's severe weather
threat as a
morning MCS across Iowa had pushed most of the severe possibility too far east for me to reach from Sioux City. Thus, I got a late start, leaving the hotel by about 10 am. Eventually a target in north-central Illinois reared its head, but I was too late to reach the conglomeration of
messy multicells and transient supercells south of I-80. By the time I got to the Quad Cities, I was happy to divert north around the convection and head home to see Sharon and Chase before dinner. At about 9 pm, I noticed a few small
showers develop quickly on the radar across the I-88 corridor, which suggested the potential for elevated thunderstorms. Indeed, in about 20-30 minutes, the radar lit up like a Christmas tree. I grabbed a limited amount of equipment and drove a few miles south of DeKalb to capture some lightning. Early on, it was quite impressive -- I was able to grab a few good shots of lightning near the DeKalb windfarm, but eventually the lightning became shrouded in precipitation. I then decided to bust south of the line to see if the lightning was visible from that perspective. As soon as I neared Waterman and cleared the rain, the sky opened up like one of those plasma balls you can get at Spencer's Gifts in the mall. I setup shop in a couple locations south of Waterman, only moving when the lightning felt like it was going to have me for dinner. I missed THE shot: lightning struck about a mile away, hitting a transformer that caused a long-lived purble-green blowout. It was
just to the right of my viewfinder. Argh. Anyway, quite a eventful evening that made up for the bust the day before. Sunday reconfirmed to me that the best lightning setups are elevated storms that lack a low-level stratus deck.
Stacks
Stack of ~10 frames shot ~5 miles south of Waterman, IL, looking northwest. An animated gif of this scene is available here.
Stack of ~4 frames shot ~5 miles south of Waterman, IL, looking northeast. An animated gif of this scene is available here.
Single Frames
Lightning strikes one of the turbine blades in the DeKalb windfarm.
1 comment:
Great captures. I caught the strike that hit the transformer. I was in between Hinckley and Waterman about a mile south of Rt 30. Best display in quite some time I would say.
Post a Comment