Thursday, June 13, 2013

6/11/2013 - DeKalb, IL Asperatus Clouds

As I was in the office mid-afternoon doing work, I took a quick look at the north webcam and noticed a rain shaft, prompting me to investigate the radar. I hadn't expected much this day, as an initial weak upper-level wave had pushed an area of thunderstorms to the south and east, leaving in its wake a region of likely subsidence. Nevertheless, a line of elevated storms developed east-to-west across the northern DeKalb County area around 3 pm. After looking at the radar, I grabbed my book bag and made a dash for the car. I rushed over to my house where I picked up my camera gear and then drove south on 2nd St.  I didn't go far before I just had to stop to the car grab pics of a "crashing wave" appearance along the leading edge of the convection. The storm produced some of the most amazing asperatus clouds I've ever experienced. The "show" was only about 45 minutes long, but I was awed and thoroughly enjoyed this short jaunt south for non-severe convection.





 

Multi-image Stitches




Time-lapse of above scenes, in addition to a sequence of scenes from the NIU Meteorology Webcam System.

No comments: