Monday, May 23, 2016

5/23/2016 - Woodward, OK tornado

Targeted the sw KS, panhandle/nw OK, and ne TX panhandle region on an enhanced risk play. Latched onto a couple of LPish supercells between Buffalo, OK and Coldwater, KS in the early evening. While these were nice, they never seemed to get that look due to what appeared to be entrainment/weak convergence issues. As those decayed, I quickly turned my eye to new development near Woodward, OK. I raced south and east around the nearly stationary supercell while dodging a hail-throwing left split. I eventually made it to a nice perch northeast of Woodward, but had to retreat south to US 412 due to hail. I hit a few spots between Woodward and Mooreland, before finally settling on a location along US 412 where I watched a tornado form and dance up and down for roughly 15 minutes or so. This occurred at sunset, which made for a beautiful scene. Unfortunately, the Canadian River and lack of roads that cross the river east of Woodward prevented me from getting a closer look; I was reluctant to drive into Woodward then north while the tornado was occurring.














No comments: