Thursday, May 25, 2017

5/25/2017 - KS Supercells

Began the day in Alamosa, CO after the previous evening’s sunset at Great Sand Dunes National Park.  Target was for far eastern Colorado into western Kansas, where a slight risk was in place due to bulk shear in the 35-45 kt range and about 1000-1500 J/kg of CAPE.  Storms formed early-on between I-70 and I-76, yet I was reluctant to go after those as I wanted to be on the most southeast storm of the day (if it were to materialize).  Eventually convection did form just to our west in Burlington, CO.  We held tight with this storm as it slowly matured. Once it matured – right on the KS/CO border – it became a race to stay ahead of the relatively fast mover as it traversed the not so pleasant road network south of Oakley within the Smoky Hill River Valley.  We did manage to navigate the dirt road, staying ahead of the cell as it continually surged with little RFD punches. It was a real beauty, especially near Winona and Gove City. We continued with the cell as it grew upscale into a meaty MCS, eventually calling it a day near Brownell, KS.  We overnighted in Ellis.

 

Stitched panoramic
   




Stitched panoramic





DSLR and dashcam lapses

No comments: