I drove up on the developing supercell near Norman, NE. Basically the next hour was just supercell magic. I slid east on SR-74, making frequent stops to bathe in supercell delight. Just south of Assumption, I pulled over and watched one of the more dramatic occlusion processes I've ever witnessed. When my storm chasing brain told me to go east (to jump in front of the new meso off to my immediate east), I stayed -- not sure why I did. Perhaps it was to talk to the locals/farmers who had joined me in viewing this rather amazing supercell as it neared their own homes just to the north. The decision to stay was rather fortuitous -- as the occlusion took place in front my eyes about 1-3 miles up the dirt road from where I sat. I was a bit shocked at how "late" the meso tornado'd in the occlusion life cycle. The meso funneled a few times and then laid down a cone/barrel-type tornado, which then morphed into one of those stretched-occluded-type (not a rope, per se) tornadoes. After the tornado, I played catch up the remainder of the short evening. I finally got ahead of the storm near Lawrence, NE, but visibility was starting to wane in the evening light. I enjoyed a nighttime lightning display as the shelf cloud overtook me near the town of Hebron, NE. I then threaded the needle between storms and drove to York, where I overnighted. Overall, patience paid off today. Thanks to Matt Powers for nowcasting (and moral!) support.
Also, a special note to the locals that I spoke with that evening -- thanks for the emails and the pics you've sent. I'm thankful that the tornado did only minor damage and largely moved over open farmland. All the best to you all.
Second funnel ... first one (and possible tornado) seconds earlier blocked by the only tree in my view -- chainsaw anyone?
Tornado!
This pic was sent to my be Helen Parr -- I met her brother-in-law that evening just south of the tornado. Her view is about a mile or so south of where I was. Thanks for the pic Helen!
Wide-angle view -- showing the jaw dropping clear slot and occlusion process.
Base reflectivity illustrating the interesting occlusion occurring. Note the hook, with appendage, to the south of the forward flank downdraft -- yet this is not where the tornado occurred. See the velocity product below for where the strong rotation was.
Storm-relative velocity product at the time of the tornado. I've made animated gifs of the bref and srv, which show the pretty cool meso spin off.Time-lapse of the day's action. Includes views from two cams (one regular, the other HD); thus the repetition in some clips. Also, I had to move to get out of the way of emergency vehicles as they approached from behind at one point. Thus the movement and unstraight horizon lines at times. Sorry. A higher resolution video is available for download here .. please right click>download; don't stream from the server. Thanks!
Geography of my Trip 3, with overnight stays in red. This successful chase concluded my formal trips into the Plains for this season. For the remainder of the warm season, I'll chase local or in nearby states (e.g., Iowa).
7 comments:
I saw you out there last night and thought, damn he's on the perfect storm! Good work, looking forward to more pics!
Great pics - my husband was there watching with you outside of Roseland!
Clear slot? what clear slot? The storm at that point was a clear slot! :-)
Excellent storm.
Great to see such AWESOME pics... my family and I were straight up this road in the basement of a house about 1/8 mile from where this touched down. Good to see what we could hear!!
Simply sick rotation Walker! Congrats!
Walker, you are missing your calling. You need to start up a class teaching all the "chasers" out there how to shoot video and still shots. With all the active weather lately, it is refreshing to come to your blog and see how to capture a storm. Great work and I look forward to visiting your blog more often.
Brian
Lincoln, NE
That. Is. Gorgeous. Great job!
Post a Comment