Tuesday, June 12, 2007

6/11/2007 Another Bust

Today’s target was the area near the border of SD, ND, and MT. We headed up toward Buffalo, SD only to be disappointed with a lack of convective initiation, despite a surface low and cold front in the area. We did meet up with Steve and stared at data for a good hour or two hoping our fortunes would turn. While waiting, we did have the unfortunate opportunity to meet a weird, old man from South Dakota. He was very intent on making fun of anybody from Nebraska (Steve’s plates are Nebraskan) and he eventually proceeded to go on a tirade about how Ukrainians, Irish, and Indians clashed in the area. This tirade was complete with German, Russian, and what had to be a couple other languages spoken. He made several comments about how all "us young people" think we know everything because we have laptops, etc. All I could do was stare at his shoes and say “yep .. uhh huhh … okay … yep … really … wow, that is interesting … yep … no I didn’t understand what you just said in Russian … yep … really … okay” To put it simply … it was a very uncomfortable situation. Ugh!

Anyway, I did get to visit an area of SD I’ve never traversed. The area had wide open landscapes with several volcanic buttes, which made for some beautiful scenery. We eventually headed back to Rapid City where we grabbed a room at the Days Inn (third time I’ve stayed here this year) and took in a blues band, some dinner, and a couple beers at the Firehouse Brewery. Tourist season has hit the Black Hills and most hotels are sold out, so I’m glad we were able to find something.

Storm tries to fire over extreme southest MT. This persistent area of convection kept leaving behind orphaned anvils.


Bear Butte just north of Sturgis, SD.

No comments: