After this convection appeared to “gust out,” I made the decision to head south toward
Sunday, June 17, 2007
6/12-14/2007 More Multicells and Time To Throw in the Towel
We started the day in Rapid City and headed up to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse for a bit of site seeing. We grabbed some data in Custer , SD and quickly decided to head east out of the Black Hills in order to view the developing convection near Murdo , SD. Despite the issuance of a tornado watch for much of NE and SD, the conditions didn’t look favorable for anything other than multicellular convection with perhaps a “hint” of midlevel rotation. After a bit of traveling, which included traversing quite a bit of the Black Hills … slowly, we eventually arrived in Murdo. We got ahead of the line of multicells just in time for a picturesque photo or two.


After this convection appeared to “gust out,” I made the decision to head south towardNebraska as convection looked a bit better in that area. This long drive put us ahead of what I can only characterize as deep, tropic convection in Custer County . The thunderstorms produced extremely heavy rains and made driving faster than 5 mph or so difficult. At the minimum, it was good to see extremely low cloud bases again. We eventually found ourselves in North Platte where we ended the day at the Comfort Inn.
After this convection appeared to “gust out,” I made the decision to head south toward
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment