Today was largely a “ferry” day to Seward, NE in hopes of catching Kansas, Nebraska, and/or South Dakota supercells on Wednesday. The day started out on a low note as I was no more than a few miles outside of DeKalb when I nailed a bird crossing the road. Normally doves tend to fly out of the way when a car is moving toward them at 65 mph. Not this little guy … he thought he would walk … literally walk … across the road instead of using his wings. Oh well … I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
The day was largely uneventful as it was full of Iowa hills and corn. For those that have never made the drive on I-80 through Iowa, it goes something like this … hill with corn, valley with corn, hill with corn, valley with corn, etc. Somewhere between Omaha and Des Moines it did become briefly “interesting” as two young ladies on an old country road overpassing I-80 decided to flash every westbound vehicle on the interstate. Yes, I do mean flash! They appeared to be quite enamored with the idea and were having the time of their lives. I can only imagine what the truck driver chatter was like on the CB.
A “successful” Wednesday chase is clearly contingent upon good moisture return and a manageable (i.e., breakable during the daytime) cap. We clearly need help in both departments. The shear is outrageous and if anything can get going, it should be quite the show. Tomorrow morning's surface obs should tell me whether to head northwest to the NE/SD border, west down I-80, or maybe even southwest into KS ... keep your fingers crossed that somehow the moisture will surge north in time.
Oh yeah, thanks to Steve for allowing me to crash at his place!
No comments:
Post a Comment