Update: I've since had a bit more time to take a look at my pictures and I've come across a couple interesting images taken while we were driving north on sr-73 south of Kadoka. Steve and I have discussed the images (see the two below for contrasted examples) and we both agree that the images reveal a rain-wrapped tornado. This also corresponds with the tornado report on the SPC log at 5:50 pm. The images were shot between 5:49 and 5:53 pm central. Perhaps I can examine the images in a bit more detail when I get off the road in a week or so. Anyway, interesting nonetheless.
Thursday, June 7, 2007
6/6/2007 Badlands Supercell with Great Structure, Funnel Clouds, and Rain-wrapped Tornado [updated]
Today was plagued with two primary problems … a stout cap and lack of good moisture in the low levels. We hoped these issues would resolve themselves as we initially targeted the north-central area of Nebraska. Steve and I arrived in Ainsworth in the early afternoon. After an hour or so at the Ainsworth town park, it was clear that the cap was going to hold along the dryline until later that evening. Thus, we started to head toward Valentine with hopes that action near the deepening surface low would provide a better opportunity. As we arrived in Valentine, radar imagery confirmed that a lone cell in southwest South Dakota had developed and was appearing to get its act together. Sure enough, the cell quickly wrapped up and produced a nice tornado. Unfortunately for us, the cell was still a good 1-1.5 hours to the northwest. We decided to haul after the storm and we eventually caught up with it near Wanblee, SD. The storm produced a number of funnels near Wanblee and had some very unique structure, to which I can only describe as a very elongated wall cloud with attendant funnel (see photo evidence below). It eventually surged north along the “wall” of the Badlands. We pursued the storm up sr-73 as it wrapped up nicely and appeared as though it was going to tornado (in fact there was a report of a rain-wrapped tornado at this point). Anyway, as we neared I-90, the cell became outflow dominant. We followed the storm for quite a while eastward on I-90. It was a unique experiencing watching tens, if not hundreds, of chasers try to stay out in front of this surging outflow as they/we all traveled eastward down I-90. I’m certain I-90 has never had this kind of traffic congestion before. We eventually gassed up at Vivian, SD … where we were slammed with the outflow. The winds were easily 60-70 mph and all sorts of stuff went flying around the gas station. I thought for a second that the aluminum shelter over the gas pumps was going to lift up and take flight. As this storm was clearly gusting out, we began the long trip back to Seward, NE. As we neared the SD/NE border at Gregory, SD, the dryline finally lit up across central Nebraska. We followed this convection after dark toward O’Neil, NE where we eventually broke off from it and headed toward Steve’s house. We arrived at 2 AM. Overall, the day did not live up to its advertised hype. But, to be honest, I was quite impressed with the “structure” show we got up in South Dakota. So, I can’t complain too much.
Storm wraps up as we travel up sr-73.
Just south of Kadoka, SD.

A couple views of the storm as it nears the Kadoka exit along I-90.
The TIV ahead of the line on I-90.
One last structure shot.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment