Friday, June 8, 2007

6/7-8/2007 Bust in Oklahoma and Visit to the Greensburg, KS Devastation

I had two choices early on Thursday … chase the high-risk area in eastern Iowa/northern Illinois where storms were forecast to move at 50 kt … or chase the slight/moderate risk in Oklahoma, which featured higher instability, somewhat weaker shear with slower forecasted storm motions, and (unfortunately) a stout cap that would lead to more isolated convection. I gambled south as I simply did not want to double-back to the northern Illinois area since I have to pick my brother up in Denver on Sunday. Well, the high risk in the Midwest was a bust … as was my hope for Oklahoma. The “cu” was close to “going” along the dryline, but the cap held strong. Busts are inevitable for all chasers and I took this one in stride. I ended up staying in OKC at the Holiday Inn, which I pricelined for $38 (the second time I’ve “won” this hotel this year). Oh yeah, I got my first speeding ticket ever in the small town of Hebron, NE. The cop pulled me over in a 65 zone … said I was going 69 in a 55. You can’t argue with a small town cop who drives a pick-up … oh well. And to think that this town provided a great backdrop for all those tornadoes Sharon and I witnessed back in 2004 … could it be payback?

On Friday I decided to meander up toward west-central Kansas in anticipation of Saturday’s meager chasing opportunity in the tristate area of KS/NE/CO [which ended up not materializing]. The highlight of the drive was stopping by Greensburg, KS … the town destroyed a little over a month ago by an EF5. I’ve witnessed the aftermath of devastating tornadoes in my past … an F4 that traversed my Dad’s farm town of White Plains, GA … an F2 that hit my parent’s home in Dunwoody, GA … a number of strong to violent tornadoes in the Dahlonega/Cleveland, GA area. These damage paths (which are unique because they traverse forested areas) are nothing compared to what this rather sizeable Kansas farm town sustained. I’ve driven through Greensburg probably tens of times over the years and I’ve even camped at the local city park during a previous chase vacation … I remember a vibrant and strong farming community that was proud of its distinction of having the largest hand-dug well in the world. Driving through this town … even a month removed from the event … was simply amazing. There was very little left of any structure … I’m in awe that there were not more fatalities. The fact that there were so few deaths I believe validates my recent research which discusses the vulnerability of the South vs. the Plains. If this tornado had traversed a similar-sized town in GA, AL, or MS, the number of fatalities would’ve been unimaginable.






After Greensburg, I headed up toward Cedar Bluff State Park to camp. The weather was perfect for camping and a few beers.

Campsite along Cedar Bluff Reservoir.

No comments: